Wednesday, August 17, 2011

'The Help'

There's obviously more to life than what we're doing now. Coming home from watching 'The Help' tonight made me almost hate that we're still living in a generation with people leftover from the times of segregation. I know it's ignorant to look that critically when I wasn't there to experience it, but I just can't imagine ever treating another human being in such a way. Yes, there's the 'It gets better' movement and we can still say the mistreatment can be applied to today. But I have a hard time wrapping my head around all of it. To make someone feel and treat them so poorly about themselves because they are different? How many times has that obvious question been asked...

The film reminds us of how far we've come. It also shows the complete ignorance that comes with mob mentality. Yes, I am a "minority," but I don't know how many times I think I'd like to go back in time to see how I'd feel: to know what I'd really believe and if my morals would be the same.

I'm glad there are people great with enough heart out there to write stories like 'The Help' to remind us all how much and how many we have to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment